Moonshine is making a comeback—and it's very much legal. Of course, that may be a contradiction in terms, at least when it comes to moonshine's traditional definition. But today, the term tends to refer to any unaged white whiskey, and the market for the stuff is growing. Some 130,000 cases were sold last year, and it's even being stocked at places like Walmart, Time reports. The poor economy has actually been a boon for the product. Hoping to boost jobs and maintain tax revenue, Tennessee in 2009 made moonshine legal in dozens of new counties.
In places like Tennessee and North Carolina, it's seen as a locally-made, unique drink. Walmart and Sam's Club decided to stock it "because it’s an American-made product from a small family business and because it was a well-known product that had been previously unavailable," says the founder of Ole Smoky Moonshine, which is sold in 49 states and was responsible for most of last year's sales. Jack Daniels and Jim Beam have even released their own white whiskeys, and many more distilleries are getting involved in what a trade group rep calls a "gold rush."
History of Ole Smoky Moonshine
Our families were among the early settlers of the Smoky Mountains - they came to the
Smokies through Virginia and North Carolina. They honed the art of whiskey making in order
to survive during tough economic times. Most families from this area share a history of a family member making, running or selling whiskey. Today, the true moonshiners and bootleggers still consider it taboo to tell stories or brag about moonshine glory. Because of the consequences, talking about your craft or trade was something you just didn’t do.
OLE SMOKY® ORIGINAL MOONSHINE
For sippin’. A true moonshine experience. · Ole Smoky’s® Original Moonshine is an unaged corn whiskey made from corn grown by local farmers in East Tennessee. Our century-old recipe proclaims a grain bill of 80% corn, with the remaining 20% a secret that gives Ole Smoky® the distinct character and bold flavor of Tennessee moonshine. If you like whiskey, you don’t want to miss this one. Best drank from the Jar!
White Lightnin' ™
OLE SMOKY® WHITE LIGHTNIN’™
For mixin’. Use it in place of vodka, gin or tequila in your favorite cocktails. · Ole Smoky’s® White Lightnin’™ is made from 100% grain neutral spirits that have been distilled six times for premium smoothness. White Lightnin’™ is our alternative to vodka, gin and tequila and is perfect for making Apple Pie, Moonshine Margaritas, Moonshine Mojitos or the mixed drink of your choice.
Moonshine Cherries ™
OLE SMOKY® MOONSHINE CHERRIES™
A party in a jar! · Ole Smoky’s® Moonshine Cherries™ are an Appalachian party tradition. Each jar is hand-filled with fresh maraschino cherries soaked in Ole Smoky’s® 100 proof moonshine. Each cherry says a sweet hello followed by a warm goodbye. Once the cherries have disappeared, enjoy the remaining Cherry Moonshine straight up or create the ultimate Cherry Coke or Shirley Temple. Pick up a jar of Ole Smoky’s® Moonshine Cherries™ on your way to any party or simply keep them all to yourself. Good day? Have a cherry. Bad day? Have a cherry.
OLE SMOKY® APPLE PIE MOONSHINE™
Americana in a jar. · Ah... the smell of Grandma’s apple pie cooling on the windowsill. Ole Smoky’s® Apple Pie Moonshine™ captures the same delicious combination of flavors - made with pure apple juice, ground cinnamon and other spices - blended with our homemade moonshine, an authentic recipe loved for ages in Appalachia. At 40 proof, it’s very drinkable and goes down as easy as a forkful of sweet apple pie. Some like it cold, some like it hot... personally, we like it straight out of a mason jar. Ole Smoky’s® Apple Pie Moonshine™ : two great tastes of Americana that taste great together.
OLE SMOKY® PEACH MOONSHINE™ · AVAILABLE IN SELECT TEST MARKETS
Anyway you slice it, peach has long been a traditional flavor of the American South. From chilled preserves to warm cobbler - in homemade marinades, sauces and glazes - its flavor profile adds just the right touch of aromatic sweetness. Ole Smoky® celebrates this beloved summer stone fruit with Ole Smoky’s® Peach Moonshine™. At 40 proof, you’ll find it easy to sip, whether straight, over ice or mixed into a creative cocktail. · We think it’s peachy keen.
Blackberry Moonshine ™
OLE SMOKY® BLACKBERRY MOONSHINE™ · AVAILABLE IN SELECT TEST MARKETS
One of the joys of country livin’ is pickin’ wild blackberries. This fresh sun-ripened sweetness can now be found in Ole Smoky’s® Blackberry Moonshine™, a mason jar full of delicious flavor from our own family recipe. It’s perfect for sipping at a backyard barbeque - or better yet, on the front porch, where you can share with the neighbors. 40 Proof · It’s ripe for the pickin’!
Company: Ole Smoky Distillery
Brand: Ole Smoky
Slogan: Mountain Made, Century Old Recipe, Shine Reponsibly
Varieties: Original, White Lightnin, Cherries, Blackberry, Peach, Apple Pie
Alcohol Volume: 40%