The Bottom Line
My Food Facts shows a lot of promise, but the database behind the app is not quite robust enough at this point to make it useful on a day-to-day level for people with food allergies. The limited number of allergens that My Food Facts will screen for also limits the usefulness of the app.
- Scanner function is very fast, and has a cool factor as well.
- Database stores ingredient and nutritional information, as well as allergy alerts.
- Users can save foods to a favorites list in-phone.
- Only finds information on most common food allergens.
- Information in the saved My Food Facts database may not reflect recent ingredient changes.
- Database does not contain many specialty allergy products.
- Scans barcodes using iPhone camera.
- Links to database of product ingredients and allergy alerts.
- Allows users to personalize by selecting from common food allergies.